Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Political Phew

So, another presidential debate. And I do agree with what every commentator that I saw subsequently said- that McCain did nothing to change people’s opinions in this debate. Whether you think McCain or Obama won, McCain, being behind, had to achieve a goal that he didn’t reach.
But, more than that, it was refreshing to hear the two of them talk because neither one is an idiot. At least they both have a good command of the English language, and an comprehensive understanding of the issues at hand. So much better than a monkey for president! For me it’s genuinely a relief to have two actual candidates (alright, alright, with the exception of Sarah Palin!).
And I do more agree with Obama, and I do really think that, for where we are right now domestically and internationally, what he offers in terms of hope and change is truly necessary- but I will say here that I think John McCain would make a good president. I don’t think for what we need right now, but generally a smart passionate qualified candidate.
In politics, everyone keeps talking about “crossing the aisle” and being “bi-partisan” like it’s the impressive few that manage to do it. Well, besides the fact that this should be the norm (it seems to be part of the job description, in fact), really “crossing the aisle” (which is a really weird quasi-wedding reference, by the way) means respecting qualified people and their ideas. As long as people say my candidate is great and yours is terrible, there’s not really going to be any actual debate or dialogue. Saying I cross party lines but people on the other side don’t know what they’re talking about is somewhat contradictory.
So I will say what most of my friends won’t- McCain is a qualified candidate. I’m not gonna vote for him, I hope you don’t, and I really hope he doesn’t win, but at least the choice this year is between legitimate candidates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree. i too want obama to win, but even if mccain did win, at least it would be better than the president we have now.